Is Debbie Tilley Available?

Is Debbie Tilley available?
On June 28, 1995, yes that was 15 years ago, my rep, Richard Salzman received a call from the art director at Gallaudet University Press. Is
Debbie Tilley available to do samples for an up coming project? We're going to be publishing a signing dictionary for children, needing
around 1000 illustrations.... and that's how it all started....

Fast forward 15 years:
On December 4, 2010, Richard, my rep received an email from the Editorial Director of Gallaudet University press, they were ready to get started
on the Children's Sign Language Dictionary! I think that is the longest lead time in freelance history! As it turned out, I had been illustrating children's picture
books nonstop for a long time. The thought of doing 1,000 individual drawings sounded so great to me, I couldn't wait to get started.......

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Zinc Oxide?

STOMACH
The word here is stomach, or maybe it should be, "what happened to my stomach?"  When my editor, Gilly, age 11 looked at this she wasn't happy with the guys white nose in the photo, "He doesn't look cool".  So I had to explain to her that when I was a kid sunscreen didn't exist.  All we had was this disgusting thick, white, creme called Zinc Oxide that you would slather on your nose, and that was it.  You were fully protected to go out and bake in the sun!  This was another small example of a generation g..a..p 

No comments:

Post a Comment